Saudi Arabia has led tourist traffic to Egypt in 2016: minister
Published 2017-04-27 12:11:32| Amwal Al Ghad English
Arab tourism influx to Egypt during the past year accounted for 36.3 percent of the total traffic of 5.3 million tourists, according to Egyptian Minister of Tourism Yehia Rashed. He added that Saudi Arabia was the top Arab country in terms of number of tourists to Egypt, with 507,000 tourists, followed by Jordan with 180,000, Kuwait with 150,000, and then Lebanon with 86,000 tourists. Rashed said in a statement obtained by Daily News Egypt that the total number of Arab tourists in 2016 amounted to 2 million tourists, up from 1.7 million in 2017—an increase of 17.6 percent. The first quarter of 2017 witnessed an increase of 38.8 percent in the number of Arab tourists compared to the same period last year, according to Rashed, expecting tourism to recover during the current year. The Ministry of Tourism and the Egyptian Tourism Authority are successfully participating in the Arabian Travel Market exhibition held between 24 and 27 April. Rashed said that the ministry’s participation in the exhibition aims at enhancing cooperation with the partners in the region and reinforcing efforts to attract Arab tourists, noting that Arab tourism is extremely important to Egypt. He added that Egypt is always keen to provide attractive factors for the Arab tourist, the most important of which is facilitating entry and visa procedures and motivating aviation from Arab countries. The minister explained that work is now underway to facilitate the entry of companions accompanying tourists arriving from the Arab Gulf countries, next to facilitating the receipt of visas at ports of access for tourist groups coming from the Arab Maghreb countries. This year, the Egyptian booth reviews the Egyptian tourists’ destination that can satisfy all tastes, with a focus on cultural, religious, and therapeutic destinations, including the “Path of the Holy Family” destinations, which was revived by developing the sites on the Holy Family’s route. The ministry has already developed 8 out of the 25 points on the route. The eight archeological sites include the Church of Abu Sarja, the Hanging Church in Old Cairo, the Church of the Virgin in Maadi, the three monasteries of Wadi Al Natroun, the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Bird, the Muharraq Monastery, and the Holy Virgin Mary Monastery in Assiut. The development is being carried out in coordination with the Ministry of Culture, the Ministry of Antiquities, and the Coptic and Catholic churches. Head of the Egyptian Tourism Authority Hisham El-Demery said that Egypt aims to highlight therapeutic tourism through its participation in the exhibition, adding that a law is now being prepared to regulate that. In the field of therapeutic tourism, the Helwan Sulfuric Centre for Rheumatism and Physiotherapy has been very important, next to the Bahariya Oasis and Siwa Oasis with their mineral water springs.
- Israel strikes Iran-supplied arms depot near Damascus airport: sources
- Trump agrees not to terminate NAFTA treaty 'at this time,' will attempt re-talks
- Saudi Arabia has led tourist traffic to Egypt in 2016: minister
- Turkish airstrikes in Iraq are 'unacceptable encroachment': Egypt FM
- Egypt’s Army Chief of Staff meets commander of US Fifth Fleet in Cairo
- ‘Our strategic goal is to preserve the Egyptian state”: Sisi tells youth
- Trump will seek cutting corporate tax rate to 15%: Treasury's Mnuchin
- Canada's Trudeau says will stand up to Trump on trade
- Death toll in Turkish raids on Syria Kurds hits 28: monitor
- Erdogan to resume membership of ruling AKP once referendum results announced
Despite indications earlier Wednesday to the contrary, U.S. President Donald Trump agreed not to terminate the NAFTA treaty "at this time" in afternoon phone calls with the leaders of Mexico and Canada, the White House stated. Here's the readout from the White House: Late this afternoon, President Donald J. Trump spoke with both President Peña Nieto of Mexico and Prime Minister Trudeau of Canada. Both conversations were pleasant and productive. President Trump agreed not to terminate NAFTA at this time and the leaders agreed to proceed swiftly, according to their required internal procedures, to enable the renegotiation of the NAFTA deal to the benefit of all three countries. President Trump said, "it is my privilege to bring NAFTA up to date through renegotiation. It is an honor to deal with both President Peña Nieto and Prime Minister Trudeau, and I believe that the end result will make all three countries stronger and better." Both the Canadian dollar and the Mexican peso rose against the U.S. dollar after the release of the White House statement. The Trump administration had been mulling an executive order on withdrawing from the North American Free Trade Agreement, the three-nation deal Trump repeatedly slammed on the campaign trail, Politico reported earlier, citing two White House officials. A draft version of the order had existed, Politico and NBC News reported. Politico reported that the order was in the "final stages of review" and could have been "unveiled late this week or early next week." Trump previously said he wanted to renegotiate NAFTA, arguing that the agreement has punished American workers and companies. The order, though, could be used as a negotiating tactic with Mexico and Canada, the other NAFTA parties.
Israel struck on Thursday an arms supply hub operated by the Lebanese group Hezbollah near Damascus airport, Syrian rebel and regional intelligence sources said, targeting weapons sent from Iran via commercial and military cargo planes. Video carried on Lebanese TV and shared on social media showed the pre-dawn airstrikes caused a fire around the airport east of the Syrian capital, suggesting fuel sources or weapons containing explosives were hit. Syrian state media said Israeli missiles hit a military position southwest of the airport, but did not mention arms or fuel. It said "Israeli aggression" had caused explosions and some material losses, but did not expand on the damage. Israel does not usually comment on action it takes in Syria. But Intelligence Minister Israel Katz, speaking to Army Radio from the United States, appeared to confirm involvement. "The incident in Syria corresponds completely with Israel's policy to act to prevent Iran's smuggling of advanced weapons via Syria to Hezbollah," he said. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had "said that whenever we receive intelligence that indicates an intention to transfer advanced weapons to Hezbollah, we will act", he added. An Israeli military spokeswoman said: "We can't comment on such reports." Two senior rebel sources in the Damascus area, citing monitors in the eastern outskirts of the capital, said five strikes hit an ammunition depot used by Iran-backed militias. Lebanon's al-Manar television, which is affiliated with Hezbollah, said early indications were that the strikes hit warehouses and fuel tanks. It said there no casualties. Russia and Iran back Assad Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is backed in his six-year-old civil war by Russia, Iran and regional Shi'ite militias. These include Hezbollah, a close ally of Tehran and enemy of Israel, which describes the group as the biggest threat it faces on its borders. The two fought a month-long war in 2006. Syrian military defectors familiar with the airport say it plays a major role as a conduit for arms from Tehran. Alongside military planes, there are a number of commercial cargo aircraft that fly from Iran to resupply arms to Hezbollah and other groups. The flights go directly from Iran to Syria, passing through Iraqi airspace. As well as weapons, hundreds of Shi'ite militia fighters from Iraq and Iran have been flown to Damascus international airport. Intelligence sources put their numbers at 10,000 to 20,000 and say they play a significant role in military campaigns launched by the Syrian army. Israel has largely kept out the war in Syria, but officials have consistently referred to two red lines that have prompted a military response in the past: any supply of advanced weaponry to Hezbollah, and the establishment of "launch sites" for attacks on Israel from the Golan Heights region. Speaking in Moscow on Wednesday, where he was attending a security conference, Israeli Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman reiterated that Israel "will not allow Iranian and Hezbollah forces to be amassed on the Golan Heights border". During his visit, Lieberman held talks with Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu and Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, as part of efforts by Israel to coordinate with Moscow on actions in Syria and avoid the risk of confrontation. A statement from the Defence Ministry said Lieberman had expressed concern to the Russian ministers over "Iranian activity in Syria and the Iranian use of Syrian soil as a base for arms smuggling to Hezbollah in Lebanon". A Western diplomat said the airstrikes sent a clear political message to Iran, effectively saying it could no longer use Iraqi and Syrian airspace to resupply proxies with impunity. Speaking to Reuters in an interview in Washington on Wednesday, Katz, the intelligence minister, said he was seeking an understanding with the Trump administration that Iran not be allowed to establish a permanent military foothold in Syria. Israeli officials estimate that Iran commands around 25,000 fighters in Syria, including members of its own Revolutionary Guard, Shi'ite militants from Iraq and recruits from Afghanistan and Pakistan. Israel has also said that Hezbollah has built up an arsenal of more than 100,000 rockets, many of which would be capable of striking anywhere within Israel's territory. The last conflict between the two left 1,300 people dead and uprooted more than a million Lebanese and 300,000 to 500,000 Israelis.
The Market Quotes Powered By Forexpros, the Forex, Futures, and Stock Markets Portal.
Most Popular »
- Reports of North Korea artillery drill as US submarine docks in South
- Trump's push to fund wall may be delayed as government shutdown looms
- Trump's 100 days: a rattled establishment, some surprises
- Egypt holds international tender to restructure Egyptian Iron & Steel
- Egypt expects to finalise IMF loan’s third tranche in four months