Blackout Looms In Port Said Amid Recent Violence; Electricity Minister Says
Published Saturday, 26 January 2013 16:58 | Written by Ibrahim El Redy
Egyptian minister has warned of witnessing a blackout in some vital parts in Port Said amid the escalating violence provoked on Saturday which included causing damages to the city's electrical facilities and panels.
Eng. Ahmed Imam, Egypt’s Minister of Electricity and Energy, has urged Port Said citizens to work on preserving the electrical facilities of the city and on resisting any attempts to cause damages.
In an official statement released by the country’s Ministry of Electricity on Saturday, the Minister further noted that some electrical panels and facilities in Port Said were destroyed amid the growing unrests stirred up in the city over the court’s verdict sentencing to death 21 people found guilty over a 2012 soccer stadium disaster that killed 74 people.
Earlier on Saturday, a court sentenced to death 21 of the 73 defendants accused in the Port Said soccer stadium disaster occurred on February 1st, 2012.
Minister Imam has warned of a potential blackout pointing out that some vital parts of the city would be plunged into complete darkness in case of the continuous damages to the electrical facilities. Consequently, the Ministry alongside the Electricity Sector would have to carry out extensive repair that would take time and sustain effort.
Most Popular »
- Egypt’s Banque Misr to set up presence in Somalia, Kenya, and Côte d’Ivoire
- Trump celebrates first 100 days as president, blasts media
- Philippine military says high-ranking Abu Sayyaf member killed
- Turkey fires 3,900 in second post-referendum purge
- South Korea says US reaffirms it to pay THAAD costs