Head of Egypt’s ruling junta says the army is not fielding a candidate in next month’s landmark presidential vote and is neutral towards the candidates.
“The armed forces do not have a candidate in the next presidential election,” the official MENA news agency quoted the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) chief Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, as saying on Monday.
He added that the army was “neutral” towards all candidates.
Former Egyptian intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, who was the main culprit behind the killings of protesters last year, has joined the presidential race.
Many consider Suleiman a favorite of the SCAF, which has ruled Egypt since Hosni Mubarak’s downfall in February 11, 2011.
The Muslim Brotherhood’s candidate Khairat al-Shater has said that Suleiman’s presidential bid could spark a second revolution in the country, according to Press TV.