Egypt’s army said in a statement on Monday it has killed six militants during the most recent several raids against terrorists’ hideouts in North Sinai.
The army’s announcement comes a few days after a number of Coptic families fled the governorate following a spate of killings of Christians by Islamist militants.
Army spokesman Tamer El-Refai said security forces in North Sinai also arrested 18militant suspects during the raids.
Two storehouses used to hide explosives were discovered, and eight improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were deactivated by the forces.
“Law enforcement forces will continue carrying out their mission with determination to uproot terrorism and eliminate terrorist elements,” the statement read.
Egypt’s army and police forces have been waging a war over the past several years against an Islamist militant insurgency in North Sinai.
Hundreds of security personnel have been killed in terror attacks by militants. The army also killed hundreds of militants.
In the past month, militants have targeted Christian residents, killing seven Christians in North sinai.
Last week, the Islamic State (IS) militant group called on supporters in a video, in which it claimed responsibility for a deadly attack on a church in Cairo in December, to attack Christians across the country.
Several days after the video was released, three Christians were murdered in El-Arish.
118 displaced Coptic families have been temporarily housed by the government in four governorates, according to a report released by the Cabinet on Sunday.
Source: Ahram online