Egypt’s interior ministry issued a statement on Friday urging media outlets not to publish any information on Thursday’s bomb attack unless provided by the ministry itself.
The blast in eastern Cairo targeting Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim’s convoy left dozens injured and a passerby dead after he succumbed to his injuries on Friday, although the minister escaped unharmed.
“The ministry of interior is the one to issue statements regarding the incident and any related information,” read the statement.
The ministry went on to add that the criminal investigation directorate, the national security directorate, the general security directorate and other apparatuses concerned with criminal evidence have finished surveying the scene of the incident.
The team will continue to collect information, study surveillance cameras and discuss testimonies of eyewitnesses and passersby.
“The team has discovered important information that will explain the circumstances of the accident and will identify the culprits,” said the statement, vowing to provide the media with latest updates as long as it “does not violate security measures.”
Initial reports said that the blast was the result of a car bomb. According to security sources, the owner of the car which exploded is currently being interrogated.
Al-Ahram Arabic news website reported earlier that initial investigations showed at least 50kg of explosives or other chemicals were used in the blast.
Source : Ahram