حفلة 2024

Shell Egypt discovers new offshore natural gas reservoir

Shell Egypt has unveiled on Tuesday a new natural gas reservoir after completing the drilling of the first well in its three-well exploration campaign, Mina West.

The new well is located in the North East El-Amriya block, in the Mediterranean Sea.

The company released a statement announcing that the drilling activities were done at a water depth of around 250 meters below sea level in the offshore Nile Delta and the primary data confirmed the presence of a gas-bearing reservoir.

The statement also clarified that additional analysis is necessary to ascertain the extent and salvage value of the found material.

Upon the discovery, Khaled Kacem, Vice President and Country Chair of Shell Egypt, said: “This discovery is an important step forward for Shell Egypt bolstering our growth aspirations and ongoing commitment as a key partner in Egypt’s energy landscape.”

“Successful delivery of our current exploration campaign is part of Shell Egypt’s growth strategy. Shell, together with its partners, will continue to work towards safely and efficiently reaching the development phase of the block.” he added

It’s noteworthy that Shell signed a Farm-Out Agreement (FOA) with Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company (KUFPEC) last September.

The agreement states that KUFPEC acquired a 40 percent stake in North East El-Amriya block, with Shell holding the remaining 60 percent stake, of the partner’s share with the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS)

Leave a comment