Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry and Arab League envoy to Libya discussed developments in Libya and regional efforts to reach a solution on Tuesday.
Shoukry and Arab League envoy Nasser Al-Qodwa discussed the latest “political and security developments” in Libya after the formation of the House of Representatives, a foreign ministry statement read. They also discussed the efforts conducted, “by neighbouring countries, the Arab League and international” efforts to reach “a political solution between different political groups in Libya”.
As a result of ongoing fighting, conditions inside Libya have become increasingly unsafe, forcing many to flee their homes. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees’ office in Tunisia said all Libyans at the Libyan-Tunisian border have been permitted access to Tunisia.
Following the talks, the Egyptian foreign ministry announced that 25 August has been set as the date in which Egypt will host the third talks at a ministerial level for Libya’s neighbouring countries.
The talks aim to discuss “a number of ideas, recommendations and a set of proposals in solidarity and support for the Libyan people”, the Egyptian foreign ministry had previously said.
Violence in Libya has been a major concern for its neighbours. On 14 July, Libya’s neighbours decided to form a security committee and a political committee to offer the troubled country help in ending its crisis, following a meeting in Tunisia.
On 13 July, intense fighting between militias led to the closure of the Tripoli airport.
Libya hosts some 1.6 million Egyptians, according to Libyan Ambassador to Egypt, Mohamed Fayez Jibril. Fighting has forced around 14,500 Egyptians who live in the restive neighbour to flee.
Egyptians have been evacuated in groups by first crossing into Tunisia through the Ras Jdeir crossing before arriving at the Gabès or Djerba airports in Tunisia. Egypt’s national airline, EgyptAir, has been returning them back to Egypt through free, daily flights.
The latest group evacuated was made of 500 Egyptians who were flown home on Monday.
Waves of violence have become commonplace in Libya since the ouster, and later murder, of former Libyan president Muammar Gaddafi in October 2011. The violence especially escalated after retired General Khalifa Haftar launched a campaign to combat “terrorism” in Benghazi.
Source: Daily News Egypt