El-Sisi Reiterates Libya Bombing Denial As US Backtracks

Big 5

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi reiterated on Thursday that his country had no role in recent airstrikes on Islamist militias in the Libyan capital, Tripoli.

“Despite Egypt being one of the most harmed parties from the deteriorating political and security situation in Libya, it is committed to non-interference in internal Libyan affairs,” El-Sisi was quoted as saying, by state news agency MENA,  during a meeting with a congressional delegation visiting Cairo.

“Egypt is standing by the Libyan people and providing every support and assistance to the legitimate demands and needs in Libya.”

The US State Department and the Pentagon said earlier this week they were aware that Egypt and the UAE undertook air raids in Libya.

But the State Department later backed off from its statement, with spokeswoman Jen Psaki saying the infromation she had was “inaccurate.”

She said in a press briefing on Thursday that her comments “were intended to refer to countries that have been reportedly involved and not to speak to whether they were involved or their kind of involvement.”

Source : Ahram online

Comments
Loading...