British driver Lewis Hamilton secured Sunday his second Grand Prix win of the year, coming first on the Shanghai International Circuit in China in a time of 1:39:42.008, less than a second ahead of Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg of Germany.
Ferrari drivers Sebastian Vettel (Germany) and Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) took third and fourth places respectively.
The victory means that Hamilton has extended his lead of the championship to 68 points, ahead of Vettel on 55 and Rosberg on 51 from three races. Hamilton also holds the record of four victories on the Shanghai circuit.
The race finished behind a safety car after Max Verstappen’s Toro Rosso suffered an engine failure with two laps remaining for the leaders.
Result from the Formula One Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai International Circuit on Sunday
1. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes 1:39:42.008
2. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes +00:00.714
3. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Ferrari 00:02.988
4. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari 00:03.835
5. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Williams-Mercedes 00:08.544
6. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Williams-Mercedes 00:09.885
7. Romain Grosjean (France) Lotus – Mercedes 00:19.008
8. Felipe Nasr (Brazil) Sauber – Ferrari 00:22.625
9. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) RedBull – Renault 00:32.117
10. Marcus Ericsson (Sweden) Sauber – Ferrari 1 lap
11. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Force India – Mercedes 1 lap
12. Fernando Alonso (Spain) McLaren 1 lap
13. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren 1 lap
14. Carlos Sainz Jr (Spain) Toro Rosso – Renault 1 lap
15. Will Stevens (Britain) Marussia – Ferrari 2 laps
16. Roberto Merhi (Spain) Marussia – Ferrari 2 laps
17r. Max Verstappen (Netherlands) Toro Rosso – Renault 4 laps
r. Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela) Lotus – Mercedes 7 laps
r. Daniil Kvyat (Russia) RedBull – Renault 41 laps
r. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India – Mercedes 47 laps
Fastest Lap: Lewis Hamilton,1:42.208, lap 31.
Source: Reuters, AFP & dpa