Egypt’s Ahly announced on Monday that Mohamed Nagy ‘Gedo’ will re-join Hull City on a season-long loan, few hours after saying they had rejected an offer from the English Premier League side for the Egypt forward.
Ahly made a U-turn after convincing Gedo to extend his current deal with the Cairo giants for two years.
“The club have accepted Hully’s offer after Gedo penned a new deal. Gedo’s contract was due to expire at the end of the season. He is now tied to the club until 2016,” Ahly, who were apparently worried that they risked losing the player for nothing if they accepted Hull’s loan offer, said in a statement on their official website.
Gedo revealed on Sunday that Hull were interested in re-signing him on loan, expressing his desire to re-join the club he played for in the second half of last season.
However, Ahly football director Hadi Khashba said earlier on Monday that Gedo “was not for sale”, citing head coach Mohamed Youssef’s reluctance to offload one of his prized assets.
The 28-year-old impressed during a six-month loan with Hull last season, scoring five goals and playing a key role in helping the Tigers seal promotion to the elite Premier League.
However, Hull opted not to sign him on a permanent basis in the summer after he suffered a foot injury that has sidelined him for three months.
The towering deep-lying forward is best known for scoring five goals in the 2010 African Cup of Nations to guide Egypt to a record-breaking seventh continental title.
Source : Ahram