BREAKING: One killed in explosion at Italian consulate in Cairo

Big 5

A powerful explosion in Cairo that occurred in front of the Italian consulate in the city centre on Saturday left at least one killed and six injured, security and health officials said.

According to Health Ministry spokesperson Hossam Abdel-Ghaffar, one has so far been confirmed killed and 6 injured.

A woman and her three children were injured in the blast and were transferred to the Galaa hospital, according to state TV.

The security official said a car bomb caused the blast. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the explosion.

Six October bridge, which crosses over the consulate, has been sealed off in both directions. Galaa street where the explosion took place has also been closed.

The bomb was placed outside the Italian Consulate destroying its entrance on Al-Galaa street and its façade.

The Italian consulate complex in downtown Cairo includes a cultural center as well a social club.

Italy will not be intimidated by the deadly bombing of its consulate in Cairo, Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said on Saturday

“Bombing against our consulate in Cairo, there are no Italian victims,” Gentiloni tweeted shortly after the attack that left left one person dead.

“Our thoughts are with the people affected and with our personnel. Italy will not let itself be intimidated.”

Source : Ahram online

Comments
Loading...