Egypt expresses Concern over Developments in Yemen

Big 5

The Egyptian ministry of foreign affairs called on all Yemeni people to “completely stop the use of weapons” after intense fighting in the Yemeni capital, in a statement on Monday.

Fighting broke out earlier in the day in the vicinity of the presidential palace in Sanaa between the Yemeni army and the Houthis, a Shia rebel movement which took control of the capital in September, 2014 and controls other parts of Yemen.

The BBC reported at least three deaths as result of the fighting, with Reuters, however, citing medical sources as saying that numbers are likely to be higher than five dead.

The Egyptian statement comes shortly after a reported ceasefire was announced in Yemen by Interior Minister Jalal al-Rowaishan, who told official Yemeni news agency Saba’ that it came into effect.

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry said Egypt is following the situation in Yemen with “great interest and concern,” calling on all political parties in Yemen to take the responsibility of seeing the country out of the “political and security crisis.”

Source: Aswat Masriya

Comments
Loading...