The handover of security screening in the Sharm El-Sheikh airport to National Falcon Company for Airport Security, supposed to take place last Monday, has been postponed to the second half of August, according to media reports.
On Monday, it was announced that Falcon will be in charge of passenger and luggage security in the Sharm El-Sheikh airport, while the police will remain to secure the airport, its terminals, in parking lots and in buildings.
The chairman of Holding Company for Airports and Air Navigation Ismail Abul Ezz said on Wednesday that the company is awaiting the Civil Aviation Authority permits to sign a contract with Falcon.
Abul Ezz added that Falcon has not yet finished the training of its personnel on inspection equipment of airports.
Meanwhile, Falcon’s CEO Sherif Khaled said that the decision to postpone to takeover is due to the delay in the relocation of security personnel houses near the airport.
Khaled highlighted that the company has finished training of 80% of its security personnel per the agreement signed in June with British company Restrata for Consulting and Training to develop the skills of 7000 Egyptian Falcon Group personnel in airport security procedures.
Egypt’s Ministry of Interior has been fully in charge of all securing Sharm El Sheikh airport, Abul Ezz remarked.
The Holding Company for Airports and Air Navigation has spent around EGP 400 million for the purchase of inspection equipment for airport security, including explosive inspection equipment.
On Monday, Abul Ezz also announced that Falcon will start security operations at Cairo Airport’s Terminal 2 after its October reopening.
Later, Hurghada, Marsa Alam, Luxor, Aswan and Borg El-Arab airports will also have their security procedures taken over by Falcon.
The National Falcon Company for Airport Security is a joint venture between Falcon Group (20%) and the government’s security authorities (80%), the company’s CEO said.
A number of countries including the UK and Russia continue to restrict travel to Sharm El-Sheikh airport after a Russian Metrojet airliner — which took off from the south SInai airport — crashed last October, killing all 224 people on board.
A committee of British aviation experts visited Cairo International Airport to inspect security procedures last month, but has yet to issue a report.
source: Ahram Online