Major property fair MIPIM in Cannes called off due to coronavirus pandemic

The yearly international property fair MIPIM originally rescheduled for June 2-5 in Cannes, France, has been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, its director said on Wednesday.

The next edition of MIPIM in Cannes will take place March 16-19, 2021.

“We look forward to welcoming everyone back to Cannes in March 2021 and, in the meantime, we hope people stay connected and, above all, safe.”, said Ronan Vaspart, MIPIM Director, in a statement.

“MIPIM 2020 exhibitors and visitors can now choose to have their 2020 fees carried over to MIPIM 2021 or reimbursed and will be contacted by the MIPIM team to discuss preferences and answer questions as soon as possible.” An MIPIM statement read.

The MIPIM (Marche International des Professionnels de l’immobilier) is one of the world’s biggest real estate market events. It gathers the most influential players from all sectors of the international property industry for four days of networking, learning, and transaction through premium events, conferences and dedicated exhibition zones.

Since its inception in 1990, the event had convened more than 130 conferences, having 480 keynotes and speakers.

MIPIM 2020 was set to attract more than 26,000 attendees to the French resort including hundreds of UK architects.

Nine Egyptian property companies – headed by Minister of Housing Assem El-Gazzar – were set to attend the MIPIM’s 2020 edition.

These companies were Al Ahly Sabbour, Palm Hills Developments, Mountain View, SODIC, City Edge Developments, Rooya Group, Cleopatra Real Estate Developments, Tatweer Misr, and Okoplan Consulting Engineers.

Last month, pressure had been mounting on the show’s backers to shelve the global event, driving MIPIM organisers to delay the event from 10-13 March to 2-5 June.

The number of global cases of the coronavirus is approaching half a million as of Thursday.