Egypt’s coronavirus cases rise to 442, recoveries toll at 93 – minister
Egypt has confirmed 40 new coronavirus cases and one new death, health minister told reporters on Wednesday, bringing the total number to 442 and 21 respectively.
The total number of people recovered from the disease surged to 93, Hala Zayed said at a news conference.
On Tuesday, Egypt declared a two-week night-time curfew from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. starting from Wednesday to control the spread of coronavirus. The country’s prime minister said those who violate the measure would be punished under emergency laws, facing fines of up to 4,000 Egyptian pounds ($255) or prison.
The North African country has also extended the suspension of flights for an additional two weeks until April 15. A closure of schools and universities has been also extended to mid-April, while cafes, sports clubs and gyms will be shut for the next two weeks. Restaurants will be restricted to deliveries.
Shops – except for food stores and pharmacies – will close from 5 p.m., two hours earlier than previously, as well as at weekends.